Monday, August 4, 2014

Makeup Routine :: Face


As I mentioned in my last post, I have continued to realize that if I try and box myself in, or force myself to only talk or write about a certain genre (i.e. crafty stuff), I get B to the O to the R to the E to the D!!! Not to mention uninspired, hence the huge gaps in my writing.

Recently, I have re-ignited my passion for makeup and, since I have decided to stop trying to limit myself, I wanted to share with you all my makeup loves!

I used to never wear any face makeup; no foundations, powders, blushes, nothing. I never felt that I needed or wanted to schmear creamy crap on my face. A couple of years ago, I was watching infomercials (oh yes, I got sucked in!!) and decided I HAD to try one of the bareMinerals mineral foundation starter kits. My mom and I went to Sephora and I picked one up. This super cool kit also came with a bronzing powder, Mineral Veil (a finishing powder), and a couple of brushes. Oh yea, and an instructional DVD (which I made M watch with me, teehee!). After using it, I realized my skin, and my entire makeup look, could be so much more finished looking. What a shock, I know!

I still didn't think I needed anything major until recently. I have a lovely natural blush to my cheeks... *cough, cough* ok let's be real.... my cheeks are red as Rudolph's nose, like, all the damn time! It started to annoy me more and more so I figured I should up my face makeup game. Which finally brings us around to the point of this post!

A couple of weeks ago, I started to use a couple of the products I am going to mention in this post, and for the first time, probably ever, a complete stranger told me I had the most beautiful skin! Well, needless to say I went home after work, built a shrine to these new miracle products, and have knelt before them, pledging my everlasting devotion ever since.

Ok, ok, let's get on with it!

The first product that I use is the new Dream Pure BB 8-in-1 Beauty Balm Skin Clearing Perfector (holy crap, that's a mouthful!) from Maybelline. I feel that it gives me light to medium coverage, which I love because it really does look natural but it still tones down the redness a ton! And it also feels very hydrating. It did take me a couple of times to find the right amount to use, which I determined was about the size of a pea. Anything more than that still blended nicely, but felt a little too heavy for my taste. I also found that it made my face feel a tiny bit itchy throughout the day.

I have the lightest shade, Light Sheer Tint.

Once I have blended this all in, I use my Full Flawless Face brush (it came in my bareMinerals starter kit) and "swirl and tap" in my bareMinerals Matte Foundation in the shade C10 or Fair. I buff this around my whole face using circular motions, and go down onto my neck just a bit as well. If I have particularly stubborn blemishes, I will press a bit of the powder onto them with the bareMinerals concealer brush, and then buff a little bit more to blend it in.



Now, this may seem weird, but I actually put my concealer on under my eyes AFTER I complete my eye makeup look. GASP! I learned this little trick from a YouTube beauty guru named Claire Ashley and I believe it has made a huge difference! When you put it on after your eyes are complete, it helps to clear away any fall out from your shadows. Additionally, it sculpts your eye look, providing a clean edge along the bottom lash line as well as up around the eye area and into your temples.

For this step, I use my new fave concealer. It is the Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles Treatment Concealer from Maybelline (lovin' me some Maybelline, probably my fave drug store brand!) This concealer has the coolest applicator! It is a little sponge tip that feels so nice under your eyes, so soft and a little cooling. I use the Brightener shade because my skin is so fair, and I want to brighten up the skin under my eyes. I also blend it down along the edges of my nose as well. I just use my ring finger to blend it all out. I have learned to tap tap tap instead of schmear schmear schmear... it took some getting used to, but only because I am a little impatient and it takes longer. Ha!



The final step is to brush a bit of the bareMinerals Mineral Veil powder to set everything. I mostly concentrate this under my eyes, over the concealer, to mattify and set it, but I will brush it lightly over the rest of my face as well. I either use my Flawless Face brush (a bit smaller than the Full Flawless Face brush) or the concealer brush, which works great under the eyes.


So this is it! I know this may sound bizarre, but it makes me feel so much more girly to use face makeup... whatevs, it is super fun either way! And I love that my natural skin color, texture, and freckles still show through just enough to not look like a creepy mannequin. 

I will probably start talking more about makeup, or really, whatever else I feel like at this point! Screw rules! I am going to stop "should-ing" on myself and do what I want! :)

Let me know if you want to see anything specific, like my every day makeup look, or anything like that!

Thanks for hanging on through this sharp right turn, and hopefully I haven't totally lost you! :)

Ta ta!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Your thoughts will appear after a quick review! :)